Re: Stepping the clock during boot

brian m. carlson writes:
> I don't think it would be okay unless you can either make sure that
> dovecot handles this gracefully (and that involves not needing to be
> restarted or disconnecting users)...

I don't see how I can do that.

> ...or change the time only before normal (non-time-related) services
> start.  I think the latter is prudent anyway.

Of course, but that is very hard to ascertain with dependency-based
booting.  Chrony requires $remote_fs so it's starting fairly late.  I
suppose I could put in a bunch of "X-Start-Before" lines, but I'd have
to know what all could be adversely affected and booting would be
slowed.

> Other than this, I don't know any reason why you shouldn't.

Well, it's a reason.  But note that such backward stepping would only
happen when your clock is really screwed up.
--
John Hasler