Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 17:12, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 04:56:03PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> With a free form field called "System specific information, please paste
>> here the output of “reportbug --template <package>”".
>>
>> That could even be reasonable.
>
> Except many people won't bother doing that.

exactly

> Currently, the barrier to submitting bugs manually (that is, through
> mail but without the use of reportbug) makes it less common for people
> to file useless bug reports.
>
> I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a webinterface, but
> perhaps make it easier to find that webinterface if people use
> reportbug. That is, have a desktop icon "file a bug" that causes
> reportbug to gather the necessary information from the local system,
> submit an HTTP request with template information over SOAP or some such,
> receive an HTTP URL from the server, and then fire off sensible-browser
> with said URL to allow the user to fill in whatever needs to be filled
> in.

I find this method very nice to give the users an immediate feedback
their bugs was successfully reported.

OTOH, the proposal above would use something similar to --template
output to feed a webform where only teh body and the subject of the
repot is missing (or those the only 2 things a john doe user would
add), in that case, I don't see the advantage over a simple reportbug.
you don't like cli? ok, give it a try to GTK+ UI -> make that "file a
bug" icon open the GTK+ UI for reportbug. We develop it with being
user friendlier than the cli version, so use it, let us know if you
like it and if there something to fix/adjust, report a bug :)

Regards,