Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

Josselin Mouette, 2010-07-27 08:58:01 +0200 :

[...]

>> Now with some additional prompts to the user to get subject and body,
>> I don't see how a web app that can get this same information as
>> reportbug can not be developed.
>
> Yeah sure. With an ActiveX maybe?

Probably easier: add a CGI-like interface to reportbug, and open a
browser on it?  Since it *is* reportbug, it can continue grabbing
whatever information is relevant using its scripts.  And then it's a
matter of a menu entry (or a big fat icon) running "reportbug --http &
sensible-browser http://localhost:$some-port/";.  AJAX to taste, then
submit via local or remote SMTP.

Roland.
--