Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 04:56:03PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> With a free form field called "System specific information, please paste
> here the output of “reportbug --template <package>”".
>
> That could even be reasonable.

Except many people won't bother doing that.

Currently, the barrier to submitting bugs manually (that is, through
mail but without the use of reportbug) makes it less common for people
to file useless bug reports.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a webinterface, but
perhaps make it easier to find that webinterface if people use
reportbug. That is, have a desktop icon "file a bug" that causes
reportbug to gather the necessary information from the local system,
submit an HTTP request with template information over SOAP or some such,
receive an HTTP URL from the server, and then fire off sensible-browser
with said URL to allow the user to fill in whatever needs to be filled
in.

People who know what they're doing can of course still figure out how to
file bug reports using just their web interface, just like people who
know what they're doing can file bug reports using just their MUA today.
But I don't see why we should make it easy for people to file useless
bugreports.

trying to fool the system.