Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users, was: Re: The number of popcon.debian.org-submissions is falling

On 27/07/10 at 11:13 +0200, Jesús M. Navarro wrote:
> Hi, Fernando:
>
> On Tuesday 27 July 2010 04:00:11 Fernando Lemos wrote:
> > 2010/7/26 Jesús M. Navarro <jesus.navarro@undominio.net>:
>
> [...]
>
> > How many BTS reports have you closed?
> >
> > I don't mean to sound offensive here, but this thread is fruitless.
> > All I see is people talking and talking over something they have no
> > say in.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> Now: I'm not a DD nor I want to commit time to become one, while I may have
> time from time to time.  What's the way I can help?  Since parent poster was
> worried about more bugs meaning more time to triage, how can I help triaging
> bugs?
>
> > This is free software. If you want to get your idea implemented,
> > either file a bug report and patiently wait (and leave debian-devel
> > alone) or implement it yourself. Talk is cheap.
>
> Now I stepped forward.  Show me your talk wasn't a cheap one too.

While it is a nice move to step forward, it is even better when would-be
contributors step forward and figure out by themselves what they should
do and how.

Like all free software projects, we lack contributors, but what we lack
even more strongly are people able to take the initiative/lead on small
subprojects.

Now, regarding triaging, just find a package or a set of packages you
are interested in, look it its bugs, figure out a strategy to go through
the bugs (oldest first, more recent first, higher severity first), and
try to add valuable information to each bug log (have you reproduced it?
it it an upstream problem? is there an upstream bug for that debian bug?
can you think of a patch?)

- Lucas