Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users

Hi, Andreas:

On Thursday 22 July 2010 10:38:03 Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:28:36AM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> > IMHO we should care about improving Debian, going toward the perfection,
> > not about increasing the number of users (which should
> > be a nice secondary effect).
>
> So you have even found the answer to the question - or rather you
> pronounced it differently, because whe need to ask:  "What exactly is
> perfection?"  In my eyes perfection means:  "So good that people will
> prefer it over others."

Unless you are ominscient, trying to find out what others will happen to be
choosing is quite a difficult game.

Why not go after a not so "self-imporant" but more feasible goal?  I prefer
something on the lines of "so good that *I* will prefer it over others".

> > So, let see how to improve Debian, not how to increase
> > our userbase!
>
> I do not think that we succeed in improving Debian if the userbase is
> decreasing.  IMHO this would mean we are trapped in an ivory tower.

Don't fool yourself: given that the whole linux-at-desktop marketshare is
around 2%, we *already* are "trapped" in an ivory tower and Microsoft is the
one achieving perfection since that's what "people prefer over others".  Now,
I choose to use Linux instead of Windows for a reason, and within Linux I
choose Debian for a reason, do I?

Cheers.