Re: packages being essential but having stuff in /usr/?!

[Christoph Anton Mitterer]
> > This is indeed a problem if /bin/sh has no printf builtin, but it does
> > not affect people who use dash or bash.
> Well but it's rather ugly to simply say dash/bash support it,.. =>
> we're fine...

What problem are you trying to solve?  Did you actually try to use an
init script that use printf and doesn't depend on $remote_fs, on a
system where /bin/sh is neither bash nor dash?

Or is this just a big gedanken-experiment?

It sounds a great deal like the latter, in which case I think you would
waste a lot less time by simply joining forces with those people who
are working toward being able to run other shells as /bin/sh.  Let
_them_ know that if they don't provide builtin test and printf
commands, there will be problems before /usr is mounted.  If they want
to crusade about it, I think it would sound more credible than you
doing so with no apparent concrete goals.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/