Re: packages being essential but having stuff in /usr/?!

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 10:26 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Right, the point is that other packages can assume those binaries are
> available during any normal package operations and during package
> installation and removal.
Ok... than perhaps one can add a note to the policy, that this means
"after the system has booted, or especially after all filesystems
including /usr are mounted".

And apart from that,... during initramfs only that what has been
included (or is part of busybox, if used ist available), and
berofre /usr... only that what the respective maintainers (e.g.
coreutils) decided to put into non-/usr locations.
Right?

> Early system startup (before $remote_fs) is a weird and special
> environment, and most services should just depend on $remote_fs and not
> worry about it.  Normally they have to anyway since the daemon being
> started is in /usr.
Well I came across this by writing a (hopefully) improved version of the
current /etc/init.d/skeleton to ask for its inclusion,... and I did not
want to restrict the notes I give there for just these normal kinds of
daemons.
(So much for my motivation.)

> Services that do not depend on $remote_fs are
> services that have to be prepared to run in a limited and special
> environment and will require special attention and thought.
Well I wrote some keyscripts for cryptsetup, which happen to execute
long before any /usr or so is there,... and I use e.g. printf and some
others.
I never noticed however that printf is not there, because of that
built-in versions ;)

Cheers,
Chris.