Re: Bindv6only once again

(cc's dropped, sorry, I was in "kernel" ML netiquete mode).

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:
> > one probably has to mess with /etc/gai.conf
> [...]
> > On a dual stack box and any application that does NOT work in ipv6only=1
> > mode, you likely have to firewall/ACL off IPv4, IPv6, IPv4-mapped-in-IPv6
> > ([::ffff:a.b.c.d]) and IPv6-compatible-IPv4 ([::a.b.c.d]).  Icky.
>
> I suspect you don't really don't know what you're speaking about.

Maybe.

> With bindv6only=0, a v6 socket bound to :: will not accept v4
> connections, full stop.  With bindv6only=0, connecting a v6 socket to
> a v4-mapped address will not work, full stop.

Well:

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-devel@lists.debian.org/msg277726.html

says: "When net.ipv6.bindv6only is set to 0, an application binding an
AF_INET6 listening socket to "any" will receive on the same socket IPv4
connections as well, with the endpoint addresses converted in the form
::ffff:1.2.3.4[1]."

So, which one is correct?

  Henrique Holschuh