Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> FWIW I think debian/source/format sucks big time and its content should
> be moved to debian/control.

Actually it's a design decision to put it outside of the control file:
it's easier to create/modify/discard automatically when needed.

I expect this to be of particular interest when we'll have VCS-powered
source formats (say "3.0 (git2quilt)") that generate source packages that
are plain "3.0 (quilt)" based on the git repository information.
For example, when importing historical version of the source package, you
might want to be able to discard/overwrite the source format information.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/