Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org> writes:

> The problem is that if debian/source/format is missing for one reason
> or another, your package will be silently built as a 1.0 source
> package.

There's no need for it to be silent. The idea was raised that, after a
period of silent deprecation, the recognition of source format 1.0 could
cause a warning.

The only point I've been trying to understand is, regardless of how
format 1.0 packages are handled once recognised, why the current
undeclared format 1.0 packages can't be recognised as such indefinitely
without any change in those packages.

--
 \       “We jealously reserve the right to be mistaken in our view of |
  `\      what exists, given that theories often change under pressure |