Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 09:28:58PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> Again from Wouter's comments:
> "It is of course perfectly fine for dpkg-source to error out if it
> detects that things are not completely in order, or if it detects that
> features were requested that are not supported with the source format
> that is in use. But it should not silently assume another format is
> probably to be used if things are not entirely what they should have
> been."
>
> The absence of debian/source/format means 1.0 and dpkg should not
> assert anything else or behave as if it really is 3.0 or something
> else. No file means format 1.0 and format 1.0 means never having the
> file. That's the simplicity that I like.

Since I'm being quoted here, I think it's only fair if I'm allowed to
correct you when we seem to disagree :-)

Absense of the file should indeed imply that 1.0 is used. However,
existence of the file should not imply that 1.0 cannot be used.

I might want to have a file with "1.0 (non-native)" to have dpkg error
out when I accidentally don't have a .orig.tar.gz file somewhere, for
instance. As long as the absense of that file does not make things
suddenly break, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

[...]
> What is the problem with format 1.0 packages not having
> debian/source/format ?

I consider it a bug that dpkg uses heuristics to detect the source
format that is currently in use. In the interest of backwards
compatibility, these heuristics should not be removed. However, adding a
way for me to make explicit to dpkg what the current format is is a Good
Thing, provided it does not suddenly become mandatory.

Of course, this all conveniently ignores the fact that the above
explicit non-native option isn't actually supported, which is
unfortunate...

[...]
> I did say until dpkg is fixed. I think the fix in dpkg needs to be that
> the lack of debian/source/format uniquely identifies source format 1.0

Unfortunately, "source format 1.0" actually encompasses *two* formats:
native packages and non-native packages. I'm sure you've also
incorrectly gotten native source packages on occasion when what you
wanted was a non-native package.

trying to fool the system.