Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:58:39PM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> Why are you insisting that all DDs should switch when switching is an
> effort for no benefit[1] and not switching is no effort at all ?

In fact, I don't feel this is the point [1]. The new lintian warning,
which triggered the various blog posts, simply complains about the lack
of _explicit_ information about which is the source package format in
the tested package. In general, making explicit information that was
implicit before, is a good thing.

No matter how much the new format is liked/disliked, it is a fact that
we currently have more than one source format supported by our
toolchain, from dpkg up to dak. As a maintainer, I'm happy to have a way
to make explicit the format I want to use for my package, rather than
relying on an external default value which is not under my
control. Since the goal of having such default explicit seems a
worthwhile one to me, I'm also happy that lintian reminds me about that.

Cheers.

[1] hey, I want to join the "you're missing the point" club :-)