Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, Neil Williams wrote:
> Agreed, although I think the real bug is in dpkg not being able to
> cope without a new file.

In what way dpkg doesn't cope?

The change requested by the lintian tag is preventive, not corrective.

> The idea that all source packages are going to have to be re-uploaded
> with a single 6 byte file is crazy. There will inevitably be hundreds,
> if not thousands, of source format 1.0 packages in the archive for many
> releases to come - most undeclared. For dpkg maintainers to think
> otherwise is hopelessly optimistic. There's no RC stick pushing this
> change.

And? What's the problem if it takes several releases to get to the point
where all package are explicit about the desired source format?

> debian/source/format, I'll override the lintian warning until dpkg is
> fixed. (Already done that for a few packages.)

Doing that means “I don't want to hardcode the format to use, I want to
use whatever the dpkg maintainers feel best as default”.

It's not really what you want I think.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog