Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 08:47:22AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> writes:

> > On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, Neil Williams wrote:
> > > debian/source/format, I'll override the lintian warning until dpkg
> > > is fixed. (Already done that for a few packages.)

> > Doing that means “I don't want to hardcode the format to use, I want
> > to use whatever the dpkg maintainers feel best as default”.

> I would expect the absence of a ‘debian/source/format’ file to always
> mean “source format 1.0”, since that's already the case for all packages
> that were uploaded before different source formats were available.

Quite.

If it's really so important to the dpkg maintainers that source format 1.0
is declared, why doesn't dpkg-source -b *generate* this content
automatically as part of the .diff.gz so that maintainers aren't being asked
to take a manual action to assert the status quo?