Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> There might be not short term benefit for the current maintainer, but
> it's a benefit for our derivatives distributions to be able to simply add
> patches in a consistent manner. It will also be a benefit for Debian if in
> 2 years some newbie packager doesn't have to learn about the limitations
> of the source format 1.0 when they try to add an icon to a source package
> or when they package a new upstream version that is now bzip2 compressed.

I see some different points:

 * more supported package compressions
 * only one patching system
 * alle patches in debian/patches are applied
 * one extra file for 3.0

And each point have people who support this change and other people who
don't want it. I think this is human.

And this is a competition. I find it would be the best way, at this time,
to let all DD and DM make their own experiences with the new format and
wait some time who they are decide in a longer distance ...

> In the general case, switching is a small effort for sure, but in the case
> pointed out by Neil (he won't convert packages with no patches because he
> doesn't see the benefit) the effort is almost null, just create the file
> debian/source/format with "3.0 (quilt)" and you're done.

At the beginning I haven't seen any advantage of the new format for me. But
I switched and had some problems with the new format, i.e. I found it not
very useful that all patches are applied. But this is one point. All other
points are advancements.

So let us discuss factually about single points, but without generally
speak evil of the new format 3.0.

Fondest regards,
 Joachim Wiedorn