Re: About new source formats for packages without patches

Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 02:03:09PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>>[...]
>> In the general case, switching is a small effort for sure, but in the case
>> pointed out by Neil (he won't convert packages with no patches because he
>> doesn't see the benefit) the effort is almost null, just create the file
>> debian/source/format with "3.0 (quilt)" and you're done.
>
> Aside from all the packaging tools that aren't quite there yet with 3.0
> support, 3.0 packages break two cheap generic tools that I used to be able
> to use to inspect source packages: zless, and interdiff.  While this loss
> doesn't outweigh the benefits, this is certainly not "win-win", and I would
> appreciate it if you would try to be more understanding of developers'
> natural resistance to this change.

Hi

I recently created a script to diff two 3.0 source packages, which I am
submitting to devscripts (see #575395). It is also able to diff 1.0 vs
3.0 (quilt) by converting the latter to an 1.0 like format and
interdiff'ing them for you.
  If you are interested in it, you can prefetch it from [1]; I certainly
could use some feedback on it.

I will also be looking into providing a way to easily review a single
3.0 package (which would be #575394); suggestions are also welcome for that.

~Niels

[1] Script:
http://www.student.dtu.dk/~s072425/debian/qdebdiff
Doc: