Tradeoffs of static linking (Re: Changes in dpkg Pre-Depends)

Russ Allbery wrote:

[... explanation of the tradeoffs snipped ...]
> Note, btw, that for some algorithms, you might gain significant speed,
> more than the PIC difference, by being able to compile for more capable
> processors (enabling SSE2 can make a huge difference, for instance).
> Shared libraries let you do that, by building multiple copies of the
> shared library and installing them into the capability-based library
> paths.  OpenSSL does this.

Very nice writeup.  I like the thought that it might be possible later
to get some of the speed back from this change.  Focusing on speeding
up liblzma is a better strategy overall, since it would benefit other
programs, too.

Thanks again,
Jonathan