Re: Changes in dpkg Pre-Depends

Thomas Weber <thomas.weber.mail@gmail.com> writes:

> And sorry, you don't care about speed if you still run *that* old
> hardware, otherwise you would have upgraded. (I bought my current
> desktop used and it is already able to run amd64).

Surely this is exactly opposite: speed matters much more on older hardware
that runs slower.  The psychological difference between 10 seconds and 20
seconds is much more than the difference between 1 second and 2 seconds.

And Debian is used in places and by people who can't just go buy a used
amd64 system because they want a faster computer.

That being said, a 5% performance gain from using statically linked
non-PIC code doesn't strike me as very compelling even for older systems.