Re: Changes in dpkg Pre-Depends

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:32:09PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Feb 23, Thomas Weber <thomas.weber.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You have x86 hardware that is so old that it doesn't run amd64, but at
> > the same moment you care about speed?
> Why should I not care about speed if the hardware is slow?

That you care personally about it is reasonable. That you force that
solution upon others only if the trade-off is reasonable. In other
words, only if there is a significant part of Debian users positively
affected by this trade-off.

And sorry, you don't care about speed if you still run *that* old
hardware, otherwise you would have upgraded. (I bought my current
desktop used and it is already able to run amd64).

> Anyway, there are often good reasons to use x86 on modern hardware
> (think about laptops and smaller VPSes).

I don't quite get the advantage of x86 on moder laptops. Care to
explain?

	Thomas