Re: Changes in dpkg Pre-Depends

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 00:15:10 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> First, I'd like to change the dpkg Pre-Depends from lzma to xz-utils,
> the latter is a bit bigger in size (lzma 172 KiB; xz-utils 504 KiB,
> 160 KiB in share/doc/ and liblzma2 304 KiB, 124 KiB in share/doc/)

Regarding xz-utils' size, I was just checking and it seems not all
programs are linking against liblzma, by passing --enable-dynamic to
both configure lines the package gets reduced to 396 KiB. Also by
not shipping xzdec and lzmadec the package gets down to 324 KiB.

Jonathan, any reason why those are not dynamically linked? Also what's
the point of shipping the xzdec and lzmadec tools in the main package?
It seems they would make sense as part of another package as tiny
decompressors-only, but no in addition to the main tools as those
already provide the whole functionality?

thanks,
guillem