Re: Changes in dpkg Pre-Depends

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 23 février 2010 à 20:32 +0100, Marco d'Itri a écrit :

>> Anyway, there are often good reasons to use x86 on modern hardware
>> (think about laptops and smaller VPSes).
>
> You mean, like saving memory?
>
> Wait… wouldn’t you save more memory by using shared libraries and PIC
> code?

I fear you are wasting your wit.  Please, convince me that using PIC
is the right thing.  I know non-PIC code wastes memory.  It makes
administering an selinux system harder.  It adds to per-process
startup time. [1]  Unfortunately, a realistic scenario where this
makes xz much more painful to use hasn’t occured to me and I am not
sure how to quantify these effects and weigh them against a running
time difference that is noticeable.

Relevant context:

 - the text size of liblzma on i386 is only 128 KiB;

 - unless I hear some overwhelming reason to, I am not interested in
   turning liblzma.so on the i386 into a non-PIC library.  I am just
   trying to decide whether to link xz to the .a or the .so on i386;

 - there is another binary in the same package that links to
   liblzma.so already.

If linking to the .so would help with security support or something,
just let me know and I’ll do it.

Thanks,
Jonathan

[1] These effects are briefly explained in
<http://people.redhat.com/drepper/dsohowto.pdf>, for example.