Re: New Menu category Applictions/Multimedia

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:32:39AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 15 février 2010 à 08:54 +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> > IMHO the best solution to this (unavoidable) problem is to enable a
> > configuration feature controled by some kind of priority tag in the
> > desktop files.  This should say something like "display me on Gnome",
> > "display me on KDE",
>
> You mean like the NoDisplay, OnlyShowIn and NotShowIn fields?
>
> The problem is not to implement this; it already exists. The problem is
> that maintainers don’t fill these fields properly. I mean, even KDE
> developers don’t.

Then we should probably add something to policy that suggests this
should be used in Debian packages where appropriate.

> >   IMHO the
> > default configuration on Debian should be set to all to comply with the
> > original menu behaviour.
>
> Certainly not. The original menu behavior completely sucks.

That is an opinion, one I certainly don't agree with.

If I install something on my system, that usually means I want to use
it. If I want to use something, the best way to get that done is to use
the menu system.

The fact that Gnome doesn't show the Debian menu (thereby requiring me
to either find that mythical option somewhere which would enable it, or
to manually start the application) is one of the reasons I'm not using
gnome.

trying to fool the system.