Re: New Menu category Applictions/Multimedia

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 09:15:36PM +0100, Vincent Danjean wrote:
>   The main objection is that gnome/kde maintainers do not want to see
> all installed applications in their FreeDesktop menu.
>   Personally, I prefer the Debian menu because I can find here all
> software on my machine. I use the menu the find a application.
> Applications I often use have a icon, so the Gnome selection is useless
> for me. I understand that others can use the menu differently.

IMHO the best solution to this (unavoidable) problem is to enable a
configuration feature controled by some kind of priority tag in the
desktop files.  This should say something like "display me on Gnome",
"display me on KDE", ... and the user should be presented with a
configuration option what menu entry priority he wants to see.  IMHO the
default configuration on Debian should be set to all to comply with the
original menu behaviour.

And yes, I'm aware that this is a solution which requires a lot of work
and more discussion than just this raw thought.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de