Re: New Menu category Applictions/Multimedia

On 14/02/2010 10:44, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
Personally, I believe this is a good idea, as the current situation
with two partly integrated menu systems is confusing for both
maintainers and users.

For what I remember, the problem is not technical (the format of entry
menu). As said before, converters can be wrote if required.
  The main objection is that gnome/kde maintainers do not want to see
all installed applications in their FreeDesktop menu.
  There have been long discussions about this. The current status-quo is
that the Debian menu has (should have) all software installed on the
machine whereas FreeDesktop menu used by gnome has only a subset. It
also has a sub-menu with the Debian menu (hidden by default if I
remember correctly).

  Personally, I prefer the Debian menu because I can find here all
software on my machine. I use the menu the find a application.
Applications I often use have a icon, so the Gnome selection is useless
for me. I understand that others can use the menu differently.

  In any case, merging the Debian menu and the FreeDesktop menu will
require to take some non-technical decisions and I think it will be
very difficult.

  Regards,
    Vincent

Happy hacking,

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87