Re: Debian vs. Ubuntu source control file

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 12:39:40PM +0100, David Paleino wrote:
> I remember, some time ago, there has been some discussion about treating
> ubuntu as a "pseudo-arch", so that we could do something like:

> Depends: foo | bar [ubuntu]

> I also remember this proposal was rejected, or hostaged to say the least,
> because in this case we should provide "pseudo-arches" for every Debian
> derivative -- Ubuntu is a big one, but not the only one out there.

More to the point, this causes unpleasant namespacing issues for the [] arch
specifiers.  We shouldn't mash this into the architecture specifier just
because it's there; there are other ways to accomplish this already
(e.g., substvars as mentioned up-thread).