Debian vs. Ubuntu source control file

[ Don't hesitate to redirect me to an already discussed solution/thread/FAQ/anything if necessary, but I didn't find anything related in recent (months) debian-devel. ]

Hi folks (and happy new year to all DD),

A minor issue (reported by Nick Ellery) with debian vs. ubuntu package is that the two package namespaces are not necessarily identical. An example is my httrack package, which on Ubuntu depends alternatively on abrowser, which is NOT in debian.

See BUG 530031 :
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=530031>

I could depend on abrowser on Debian, but the package doesn't exist, and lintian may be a bit annoyed. Besides, we may package in the future something called abrowser, which wouldn't be the same package (is that possible ? do we enforce "two different packages on debian/ubuntu should not have the same name" -- sorry if I am beating a dead horse)

This is the only reason why a patch is needed for all releases on ubuntu. The patch (<http://patches.ubuntu.com/h/httrack/>) is basically a one-liner in the control file (plus changelog and friends):

-Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, webhttrack-common, iceape-browser | iceweasel | mozilla | firefox | mozilla-firefox | www-browser +Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, webhttrack-common, iceape-browser | iceweasel | mozilla | firefox | abrowser | mozilla-firefox | www-browser

What do you, folks, think of this case ?

(1) Not a very common case, which can be left as is (ie. patch all further control files)

(2) We may want to have a namespaced control fields, such as:

Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, webhttrack-common, iceape-browser | iceweasel | mozilla | firefox | mozilla-firefox | www-browser Ubuntu:Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, webhttrack-common, iceape-browser | iceweasel | mozilla | firefox | abrowser | mozilla-firefox | www-browser

-and/or-

Debian:Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, webhttrack-common, iceape-browser | iceweasel | mozilla | firefox | mozilla-firefox | www-browser Ubuntu:Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, webhttrack-common, iceape-browser | iceweasel | mozilla | firefox | abrowser | mozilla-firefox | www-browser

We could namespace all possible fields in the control file, introducing ubuntu-specific fields that would be ignored by the debian side.

(3) Namespace specific packages ?

Ubuntu:Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, webhttrack-common, iceape-browser | iceweasel | mozilla | firefox | ubuntu:abrowser | mozilla-firefox | www-browser

(the dependency checker on our side would then ignore all non-debian namespaces)

(4) Ubuntu-specific optional control file ?

ie. an optional ubuntu/control file

(5) Something totally obvious I did not notice yet

Regards,
Xavier