Re: Xen support on Squeeze

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> It does require virtualisation extensions, but most x86 processors sold in
> the last few years have them.

My SE Linux Play Machine is currently running on a P3-800 system with 256M of
RAM.  I would like to continue running on that hardware until someone gives
me better hardware that uses no more electricity and makes no more noise - I
expect that I will be waiting for a while as the machine in question was
specifically designed to be quiet and low-power.  NB I am not soliciting
donations of hardware.

http://etbe.coker.com.au/2008/07/16/xen-and-eeepc/

My EeePC 701 has no support for PAE and therefore doesn't even run the recent
versions of Xen.  The same applies to my Thinkpad T41p (which I am using to
write this message) and a couple of older Thinkpads that I have lying around.
If we could get virtualisation running using older and less capable hardware
than an i686 with PAE (the current Xen requirements) then I would be very
happy!

I expect that it will be several years before Netbook class systems routinely
ship with hardware that is capable of running KVM.  Even then we won't want
to drop support for lesser hardware, it's still out there and still running.

I am not the only Debian user who relies on gifts of "obsolete" hardware for a
significant portion of their computer use.  Some Debian users do this for
environmental reasons, others do so for financial reasons.  My personal aim
is to never buy new hardware except in the case of systems that break, and in
that case I'll buy at auction - which probably means systems that are 2+
years old.

--
Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Blog