Re: Xen support on Squeeze

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 12:01:40PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have heard rumours that Xen is not going to be supported on Squeeze in favour
> of KVM. True or False?

I believe we will have Xen hypervisor and Linux dom0 packages, but they
will not be supported to the degree that ordinary kernel packages are.
The kernel team does not intend to carry Xen patches after squeeze, so
if dom0 support is not merged upstream then it will be gone in squeeze+1.

> The reason I am concerned is:
>
> 1) I believe Xen, with paravirtualization (that is without QEMU) is more secure
> then KVM (or Xen) with QEMU.
>
> 2) I believe KVM needs CPU support, and this is not yet available on all
> modern computers.

It does require virtualisation extensions, but most x86 processors sold in
the last few years have them.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Teamwork is essential - it allows you to blame someone else.