Re: DEP-5: Please clarify the meaning of "same licence and share copyright holders"

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 04:02:35PM +0100, Noah Slater wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:56:25PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > Unless you are volunteering to write and maintain these files for our
> > > large source packages, for which maintainers have already explained they
> > > don’t want to waste their time with such bikeshedding, this discussion
> > > is 100% useless.
> >
> > That's a false dichotomy. It's not necessary for *every* package to
> > adopt a machine-parseable ‘debian/copyright’ format for there to be
> > benefit from those that do.
>
> Agreed. I don't understand where this attack came from.
>
> No one is forcing you to concern yourself with the discussion around the format.
> If the discussion bores you, delete the emails and stop worrying. If the final
> format is useless to you, don't use it.

If the sole purpose of the format is to have a machine-parseable format,
if it doesn't apply to all packages, then the fact that it is
machine-parseable is useless, because you won't be able to machine-parse
all copyright information from all packages.

Mike