Re: Little endian /usr/share/locale/* files in epiphany-browser-data

Hello,

> >  I see two main issues:
> >  - the endianess of files in the archive is actually random
> >  - I would expect the most common endianess to be the little endian one
> >    since maintainers mostly upload packages for amd64/i386; this means
> >    that the slow big endian arches usually get to pay the hit
>
> Is it worth changing though? It seems like excess pedantry to me.

I made a test with 10000 simple strings (test1, test2, ...) on ppc (ibook
G4 1.2GHz) and i386 (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6550  @ 2.33GHz):

ppc, with the mo file generated on ppc:
User time: from 3.384s to 3.404s

ppc, with the mo file generated on i386:
User time: from 3.396s to 3.424s

i386, with the mo file generated on i386:
User time: from 0.024s to 0.028s

i386, with the mo file generated on ppc:
User time: from 0.024s to 0.028s

My protocol is there:
http://alioth.debian.org/~nekral-guest/test-gettext-endianness.tar.gz

Unless there is something wrong in this protocol (I did not checked where
the time is lost when the file cannot be mmaped directly, or if the
modeled usage is realistic), I would not try to save 0.02s every time my
browser gettextize 10000 strings. (The msgunfmt / msgfmt conversion took
40 times more).

Best Regards,
--
Nekral