Re: Little endian /usr/share/locale/* files in epiphany-browser-data

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009, Neil Williams wrote:
> Is there any actual evidence of a problem with the current situation?

 I see two main issues:
 - the endianess of files in the archive is actually random
 - I would expect the most common endianess to be the little endian one
   since maintainers mostly upload packages for amd64/i386; this means
   that the slow big endian arches usually get to pay the hit

> Changing the endianness of a .mo normally requires the original .po and
> the msgfmt binary which means a runtime dependency on gettext *AND* the
> need for the original source.

 I understand you're replying to the runtime conversion proposal.

 cd /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES && \
    msgunfmt <apt.mo | msgfmt - -o - | md5sum apt.mo -
b6e3086cefe18ef53c961187cf22cead  apt.mo
b6e3086cefe18ef53c961187cf22cead  -

 are you saying that msgunfmt doesn't work when there's an endianess
 mismatch?  That would be surprizing.

--
Loïc Minier