Re: Little endian /usr/share/locale/* files in epiphany-browser-data

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:43:12 +0100
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009, Дмитрий Ледков wrote:
> >                     My understanding was that checksums are provided for
> >   original tarball, diff, and deb. Not the individual files in the
> > package, hence my logic was that no checksums will be lost.
>
>  I meant the /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.md5sums to use with e.g. debsums.

Is there any actual evidence of a problem with the current situation?

Changing the endianness of a .mo normally requires the original .po and
the msgfmt binary which means a runtime dependency on gettext *AND* the
need for the original source.

Even with another method of conversion, what is the possible gain and
why is this only a concern for one package when every gettext
translation is theoretically involved?

In short, why bother with the entire idea? It's only useful on very
limited devices, at which point you should be looking at Emdebian. As
far as web browsers are concerned, it would be better putting your
efforts into getting dillo2 into shape for Debian so that users who
care about this tiny performance issue are not wasting resources on
epiphany in the first place. (dillo2 is the Gtk2.0 version of dillo but
uses a statically linked unreleased toolkit library currently).

Any device where the user cares about the endianness of a series of .mo
files is going to get a lot more benefit from having a smaller web
browser in the first place.

If epiphany is really concerned about performance on low-resource
machines, maybe more effort on reducing the dependencies would be the
solution?

Flipping the endianness of a few .mo files at startup isn't going to
have a significant impact on startup time on an average Debian machine.

--

Neil Williams