Re: Little endian /usr/share/locale/* files in epiphany-browser-data

Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009, Fabian Greffrath wrote:
>> May I conclude that it is common practice to ship little-endian locale
>> files in arch-indep data packages that are also referenced by
>> big-endian arch packages? While not being perfect, it is convenient
>> and (most importantly) it actually works -- somehow.
>
>  It's common practice to ship .mo files in arch: all packages, with a
>  random endianess.

Maybe a work around like python/emacssen could work here? To
(re-)/generate correct endianess at install time? And if it is a lot of
packages to re-generate and it takes a long time, ask if the user really
wants it? Or have a sensible default (no for desktop, yes for emdebian)?
Correct me if I'm wrong, big endian machines are in the minority, and if
 we say something like "Adjusting arch:all packages for better
performance on your arch during apt-get install" we might actually make
users feel much better about their PowerPC or what else.

The performance gain is not big, times it by all Debian users = save a
few kW/h.

Although not sure if regenerating at install time will never outweigh
the actual gain.

--
With regards,

I am not a DD