Re: Has Debian abandoned Python?

Le dimanche 06 décembre 2009 à 22:47 -0800, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> Python in Debian is currently in bad shape; on this, there is no
> disagreement whatsoever.  But it's in bad shape by the measure that *it's
> not meeting the needs of our users*, not because of where it stands relative
> to Ubuntu.

Indeed, the problem is the Python maintainer, regardless of who he works
for. The fact that it is in a better shape in a distribution which is
close to Debian shows, however, that a better situation is possible. In
the current situation[1] it would only require an upload of python2.6
and one of python-defaults (provided that the last python-central NMU is
not, again, replaced by a broken MU).

But when the maintainer specifically happens to work for a company that
claims to contribute back to Debian, on the same things he works for in
Debian, you can’t blame people for pointing out these claims are
outright lies.

You want to use Debian’s code? Fine, it’s free software. You don’t want
your employees to contribute? Fine too, no one is forced to work on
Debian. But if you brag about your lies, prepare to get bitten.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-python@lists.debian.org;tag=python2.6

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :