Re: Has Debian abandoned Python?

Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 02:11:41PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> The question of whether someone is doing an adequate job of maintaining a
> package is a legitimate one.  The identity of their employer is
> immaterial to an objective examination of this question.

I think it *is* material in this instance:

Versions of python-defaults in Debian:
unstable: 2.5.4-2
experimental: 2.5.4-3

Version of package in Ubuntu:
Version: 2.6.4-0ubuntu1 (karmic)
Uploaded by: Matthias Klose
On date: 2009-10-30 12:05:08 UTC

That is over *two months* ago.

Version: 2.6.2-0ubuntu1 (jaunty)
Apparently uploaded *33 weeks* ago.

Debian is supposed to be upstream from Ubuntu, isn't it?
So when maintainers of common core packages upload new upstream versions
first to Ubuntu instead of doing the work in Debian [0] and letting it
flow naturally into Ubuntu [1], something is really very wrong. Especially
if they apparently completely and utterly ignore their responsibility as
Debian maintainers.

Ubuntu should *not* have a new upstream version for over 8 months while
Debian has not when the same person is the maintainer of the package for
both distros. I happen to feel that the above is a very obvious result of
conflict of interest.

So yes, I do have a problem with the way Canonical is taking developer
commitment away from Debian, at least if and when maintainers no longer
honor their Debian commitments *and* do not allow others to take over the
work for Debian.

[0] Which includes having packaging discussions and decisions on the
*Debian* package mailing lists.
[1] Or at the very least also upload to Debian within at most a few weeks.