Re: Depends/Recommends?: Linux image packages going to depend on python

Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> writes:
> Osamu Aoki wrote:

>> Why not keep the main maintainer script to be /bin/sh and use python
>> within optional compoent.  I mean:

> In any case C could be used to avoid any other sort of dependency.

Yeah, but doing string manipulation in C is fairly painful and difficult
to maintain in the long run.  I suspect that shell, sed, and awk, despite
its disadvantages, would still be easier and clearer than using C for this
sort of transformation.  (And all of those tools are already essential and
likely to be present even on most embedded platforms that would use a full
dpkg implementation since they aren't particularly large.)