Re: Linux image packages going to depend on python

On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 16:43 -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28 2009, Neil Williams wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:56:01 +0100
> > Patrick Matthäi <pmatthaei@debian.org> wrote:

> > This sounds like a maintainer-script issue rather than a direct
> > requirement of the image itself. Would it be possible for the scripts
> > to check for python support and continue *without error* if python is
> > not found? This way, systems that do not have python but *do* have a
> > setup capable of implementing whatever changes are suitable can still
> > use a vanilla Debian kernel, e.g. during debugging.
> >
> > Note 'suitable' - no matter what the kernel does or thinks it needs, it
> > is not necessarily suitable for the maintainer scripts to fiddle with
> > system config files on every system.
>
>         Indeed. Editing configuration files that belong to other
>  packages is a policy violation; and even editing configuration files
>  blonging to he package itself must preserve all user changes.
>
>         It seems to be that a better approach is to inform the user, and
>  let the admin make the changes needed.

The specific requirement here is to prepare for a transition from old
PATA ("IDE") drivers to libata-based drivers.  libata presents ATA/ATAPI
drives as SCSI devices, so hard drive partitions will change
from /dev/hdX to /dev/sdX.

In preparation for this partition, /etc/fstab and the kernel parameters
in boot-loader configs should be changed to specify partitions by UUID
or label name so that they work with both old and new kernel versions.
There will be a debconf question as to whether this should be done
automatically, but it is not appropriate to expect all users to make
this change manually.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.