Re: Linux image packages going to depend on python

On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 16:43 -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28 2009, Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:56:01 +0100
> > Patrick Matthäi <pmatthaei@debian.org> wrote:

> > This sounds like a maintainer-script issue rather than a direct
> > requirement of the image itself. Would it be possible for the scripts
> > to check for python support and continue *without error* if python is
> > not found? This way, systems that do not have python but *do* have a
> > setup capable of implementing whatever changes are suitable can still
> > use a vanilla Debian kernel, e.g. during debugging.
> >
> > Note 'suitable' - no matter what the kernel does or thinks it needs, it
> > is not necessarily suitable for the maintainer scripts to fiddle with
> > system config files on every system.
>         Indeed. Editing configuration files that belong to other
>  packages is a policy violation; and even editing configuration files
>  blonging to he package itself must preserve all user changes.
>         It seems to be that a better approach is to inform the user, and
>  let the admin make the changes needed.

The specific requirement here is to prepare for a transition from old
PATA ("IDE") drivers to libata-based drivers.  libata presents ATA/ATAPI
drives as SCSI devices, so hard drive partitions will change
from /dev/hdX to /dev/sdX.

In preparation for this partition, /etc/fstab and the kernel parameters
in boot-loader configs should be changed to specify partitions by UUID
or label name so that they work with both old and new kernel versions.
There will be a debconf question as to whether this should be done
automatically, but it is not appropriate to expect all users to make
this change manually.

Ben Hutchings
Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.