Re: Depends/Recommends?: Linux image packages going to depend on python

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 12:32:22 -0800
Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> writes:
> > Osamu Aoki wrote:
>
> >> Why not keep the main maintainer script to be /bin/sh and use
> >> python within optional compoent.  I mean:
>
> > In any case C could be used to avoid any other sort of dependency.
>
> Yeah, but doing string manipulation in C is fairly painful and
> difficult to maintain in the long run.  I suspect that shell, sed,
> and awk, despite its disadvantages, would still be easier and clearer
> than using C for this sort of transformation.  (And all of those
> tools are already essential and likely to be present even on most
> embedded platforms that would use a full dpkg implementation since
> they aren't particularly large.)

I know the intended meaning but I can't help but see the irony of
recommending tools written in C as a solution for the difficulties of
handling strings in C . . .

Proven code etc. etc. but still.

--

Neil Williams