Re: Linux image packages going to depend on python

On Sat, Nov 28 2009, Neil Williams wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:56:01 +0100
> Patrick Matthäi <pmatthaei@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Am 28.11.2009 18:52, schrieb Bastian Blank:
>> > Hi folks
>> >
>> > The Linux image packages needs to do some modifications to core
>> > configuration files like fstab in the future to allow newer kernels to
>> > work. To do this and the planned further extension I intend to make all
>> > linux image packages depend on python.
>
> This sounds like a maintainer-script issue rather than a direct
> requirement of the image itself. Would it be possible for the scripts
> to check for python support and continue *without error* if python is
> not found? This way, systems that do not have python but *do* have a
> setup capable of implementing whatever changes are suitable can still
> use a vanilla Debian kernel, e.g. during debugging.
>
> Note 'suitable' - no matter what the kernel does or thinks it needs, it
> is not necessarily suitable for the maintainer scripts to fiddle with
> system config files on every system.

        Indeed. Editing configuration files that belong to other
 packages is a policy violation; and even editing configuration files
 blonging to he package itself must preserve all user changes.

        It seems to be that a better approach is to inform the user, and
 let the admin make the changes needed.

        manoj
--
Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an art. Charles
McCabe