Re: Bits from the FTPMaster meeting

On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 22:31:29 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 22:25:31 +0100 Guillem Jover wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 10:25:59 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > > I'll update deb-gview for its next release, although I'll need some
> > > real packages using data.tar.bz2 before I can test it.
> >
> > You could repack an existing .deb using dpkg-deb and the -Z option.
>
> deb-gview doesn't repack anything. It inspects the contents of the .deb
> directly using libarchive. deb-gview does not use dpkg.

You were asking for a package compressed with something els than gzip
for testing purposes, I was offering an easy way to get you one from
any existing package by repacking using dpkg-deb.

Still that will not give you testing coverage for all valid .debs,
like having members starting with _ inbetween the mandatory ones,
additional members afterwards, etc.

regards,
guillem