Re: Bits from the FTPMaster meeting

On Sun, 15, Nov, 2009 at 02:37:56PM -0500, Joey Hess spoke thus..
> Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > FWIW dpkg does the smart thing by default. It uses gzip (both
> > for the debian packages and and debian.tar) but searches for both
> > foo_42.orig.tar.bz2 and .gz. Explicitely passing an option is required
> > to get bz2 compression for binary packages and/or debian.tar.
>
> Note that debootstrap does not support data.tar.bz2.
>
> > cu and- happliy using v3 for gnutls -reas
>
> Please avoid doing so for libtasn1-3.

I think there's some confusion here between source and binary formats.
The announcement was referring to bzip2 when used as part of a source
upload.  As far as I can tell from looking in the git logs, dak has
supported data.tar.bz2 since 2005, so I'm surprised that this has never
been an issue before if debootstrap can't handle it.

Mark

--
Mark Hymers <mhy at debian dot org>

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid but some abuse the privilege."
     Unknown