Re: Bits from the FTPMaster meeting

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> On Sunday 15 November 2009, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
>> dpkg v3 source format, compression
[...]
> Is there a policy for the use of bzip2?

> As discussed earlier bzip2 is *much* slower that gzip and really hurts on
> slower arches and systems, so I'd suggest that - especially for binary
> packages - gzip should remain the default for all normal cases and bzip2
> should reserved for cases where there is a really significant size
> decrease.

... or where upstream only offers tar.bz2.

FWIW dpkg does the smart thing by default. It uses gzip (both
for the debian packages and and debian.tar) but searches for both
foo_42.orig.tar.bz2 and .gz. Explicitely passing an option is required
to get bz2 compression for binary packages and/or debian.tar.

cu and- happliy using v3 for gnutls -reas