Re: udev and /usr

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On your part, you could try to understand them instead of attributing to
> me straw man positions.

That's a good advice.  Thanks.  Please help me understand: What is the
usb-db and/or pci-db use case?

I'm afraid my creative imagination is far too limited to come up with
something without help.  All the ideas I have can easily be solved
without involving udev at all.

Maybe someone else has any suggestions?  The helpers take the pci or usb
vid/pid and look them up in pci.ids or usb.ids respectively, and then
add the returned strings to the available udev info as
ID_VENDOR_FROM_DATABASE and ID_MODEL_FROM_DATABASE.

These strings can and will change over time, so they are pretty useless
in rules.  And the vid/pid combination is available for the rules
anyway.  And stable.

The only possible use I can see is for printing pretty messages to the
user.  But I can't see why udev has to be involved in that.  Any utility
wanting to do that can just look up the strings in pci.ids or usb.ids
themselves.

Bjørn