Re: udev and /usr

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On your part, you could try to understand them instead of attributing to
> me straw man positions.

That's a good advice.  Thanks.  Please help me understand: What is the
usb-db and/or pci-db use case?

I'm afraid my creative imagination is far too limited to come up with
something without help.  All the ideas I have can easily be solved
without involving udev at all.

Maybe someone else has any suggestions?  The helpers take the pci or usb
vid/pid and look them up in pci.ids or usb.ids respectively, and then
add the returned strings to the available udev info as

These strings can and will change over time, so they are pretty useless
in rules.  And the vid/pid combination is available for the rules
anyway.  And stable.

The only possible use I can see is for printing pretty messages to the
user.  But I can't see why udev has to be involved in that.  Any utility
wanting to do that can just look up the strings in pci.ids or usb.ids