Re: udev and /usr

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:
> On Sep 04, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Whatever the cause, it breaks the FHS.
> Since it keeps being repeated, it is time to destroy this argument.
> FHS documents what distributions want to do: of the other relevant
> distributions, representatives from Red Hat and Suse said they do not
> support this and except Debian nobody else raised the issue.

The issue is most certainly raised by other distributions.  See e.g. the
thread starting with http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/62973

But I guess Red Hat and Suse decide.  Debian does what they do, nobody
cares about Gentoo, and Ubuntu does what Debian does. No, wait, they
don't: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/372241

> I should stress that this is not related in any way to the merit of
> supporting a standalone /usr, but if most distributions do not care
> about it then it is FHS which needs to be fixed.

Either you follow the FHS or you don't.  You seem to argue that most
distributions don't and that Debian therefore shouldn't either.  That's
sad.  Please fix the FHS first if you think it should be fixed.  Or
leave it alone and fix udev instead.

Personally I really can't see why these addons (usb-db,pci-db) are so
important.  Nobody has demonstrated a usecase for them.  Yet you make it
sound like there is no choice at all, but to include them in udev.

Bjørn