Re: udev and /usr

Marco d'Itri wrote:
On May 31, md wrote:

The issue was raised by the udev upstream maintainer along with the udev
package maintainers of the major distributions, who all agreed that this
configuration is not supported.
FYI, udev 146 ships usb-id and pci-id programs which read
/usr/share/misc/usb.ids and /usr/share/misc/pci.ids .
udev itself does not care about the results of these programs but other
programs which used to use HAL may do, leading to subtle breakage.

Reading again your mail, I think we are discussing a inexistent problem.

You say that "some programs which use HAL may do" use /usr/share.
But these programs could use also other partitions (e.g. starting a daemon, thus needing /var) or other services (NIS+,..). Thus I
think the problem should be solved on the HAL programs, which must
wait, or support early boot.

Eventually we must only document that /usr (and ev. also /usr/share)
could NOT be on different partition if user install few programs.
(which one?)

OTOH usb.ids and pci.ids are not complete, thus a program should not
expect a usefull result.

usb.ids and pci.ids are included in the kernel, thus on early boot
procedure we could recycle that informations to build at every hotplug
event some tiny ids files.

ciao
	cate