Re: DeviceKit and /usr

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 04:36:52PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:

> I'd like to add here, that devicekit-disks will install udev helpers
> /lib/udev/devkit-disks-* which are called in
> /lib/udev/rules.d/95-devkit-disks.rules.
>
> devkit-disks-part-id and devkit-disks-probe-ata-smart both link against
> libraries which are (currently) in /usr/lib, i.e.
> devkit-disks-part-id links against libglib-2.0 (784K)
> devkit-disks-probe-ata-smart links against (48K)

IMHO this looks more and more like the udev rules has to be split into
at least two categories:

- a basic set that is used during boot and early system setup. Services
  in rcS.d are allowed to rely on these rules only, and these rules must
  not rely on anything outside the root file system.

- an extended set that is activated at the beginning of rc[2345].d and
  contains all the bells and whistles GNOME & co. wants.

The separation can be done by depending on an environment variable that
only gets set using udevadm when transitioning to the default initlevel.
Or even better, let's export the current initlevel as an env. variable
in udevd, and let rules in the extended set test for that.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences