Re: udev and /usr

[Bastian Blank]
> Why do you not extend the current setup to do another step?
> Currently we have two
> - in the initramfs with only minimal information and
> - during the rcS run with / available.

Eh, currently we have 5 sections during the boot:

 - initramfs with minimal set of files available.
 - rcS with only / available read-only (before checkroot.sh)
 - rcS with / read-write, /var/ and /usr/ might be missing (after checkroot.sh)
 - rcS with / and /var/ read-write (after mountall.sh)
 - rcS with /, /var/ and /usr/ read-write (after mountnfs.sh)

Everything running during boot need to know which section it is
running it, and avoid using tools and files only guaranteed to be
available in later sections.  In addition, there is an optional
section split when udev is installed after / is read-only and before
it is read-write, which is before and after devices in /dev/ are
available.

In runlevels 2-5 local and NFS file systems are available, so scripts
running from there can be a less carefyl

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen