Re: DeviceKit and /usr

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Sep 04, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> I still can't fathom why someone decided that udev should be responsible for
>> translating PCI IDs and USB IDs into text strings.  This smells of crazy.
> I think that part of the rationale is that eventually HAL will go away
> replaced by udev and programs like this (e.g. look at the keyboard stuff).

I'd like to add here, that devicekit-disks will install udev helpers
/lib/udev/devkit-disks-* which are called in
/lib/udev/rules.d/95-devkit-disks.rules.

devkit-disks-part-id and devkit-disks-probe-ata-smart both link against
libraries which are (currently) in /usr/lib, i.e.
devkit-disks-part-id links against libglib-2.0 (784K)
devkit-disks-probe-ata-smart links against (48K)

This will mean, that we will need to install those two libs in /lib.
It's not something I'm very keen on to do, but given that almost all of GNOME
has migrated to DeviceKit-*, it's not something that imho can be blocked.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?