Re: Switching /bin/sh to dash without dash essential

Gabor Gombas <gombasg@sztaki.hu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 09:31:04AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>
>>         I think you are not going far enough. Why should I have dash on
>>  the system when my default shell is posh? or (gasp) zsh?
>
> posh (or "strict POSIX" in general) is simply not practical, and zsh is
> even more bloated than bash. But this was discussed to death...
>
>>         I think one of the objections here is that we ought to have a
>>  more generic approach that allows shells other than dash/bash to be the
>>  default shell, and that the vendor not make the choice.
>
> And a possible response to such an objection that the bash->dash
> transition is difficult enough. Do this specific transition first, and
> revisit the generalization only after the lessons from the bash->dash
> transition have been learned.
>
> Gabor

Why would you think the one transition would be helpfull in the second
or that there would be less breakage in the second if we do the first
one first? I would rather say you are doubling the problems and
breakages as the two are completly different mechanisms.

MfG
        Goswin